Saturday, November 8, 2008

Telling the Secret

I read somewhere that we are as sick as our biggest secret. Guess I was very sick for a very long time. I believe that the Secret I have had to keep most of my life was almost as damaging as the abuse itself. The Secret kept me from seeking help. The Secret kept me from learning that the abuse was not my fault. The Secret kept me from seeking friends and seeking love and seeking support groups. The Secret was like poison for me. The more I tried to push it away, to bury it deep down within, the worse I felt.
Now I have told the Secret. And I am feeling better about myself, the best I have felt in a long time. The more I tell my story, the better I feel, and the easier it is to tell the story. Must mean I am healing. I hope.

7 comments:

April_optimist said...

Isn't it liberating when we finally tell? And discover people believe us AND blame our abusers instead of us? (((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))

Colleen said...

Oh yes, for sure!! A sense of freedom I never thought I would experience. Thanks for your comment! and hugs!

mile191 said...

i hope to feel this way someday.

Cheri said...

Hi Colleen, I wanted you to know I received your book last week. I have read the first few chapters..and am looking forward to finishing it. I started taking two classes...so I haven't been able to finish your book as soon as I would like. I'll comment again when I'm finished. Thank you so much for having the courage to share you story. I was excited when I got it in the mail!

Colleen said...

Cheri, Thank you for your support and for your comments. And good luck with your classes!

Marj aka Thriver said...

Your healing comes across loud and clear. Thank you so much for letting us use this hopeful post for The Blog Carnival Against Child Abuse. Yes! :)

Colleen said...

Marj, Thank you so much. Having hope is sooo important. God bless.