Monday, January 19, 2009

Healing Bridge

I did a book review on Mother Teresa’s Secret Fire by Joseph Langford. In it he writes: “God makes it always possible to move beyond preoccupation with our own pain, and to reach out to assuage the pain of others. Rather than isolating us, we can choose to make of life’s burdens a sacred bridge into the pain of others.”
Well, I like that. The “sacred bridge” is really such a beautiful way to put it. I bookmarked that page in the book – put a sticky note on it and I keep going back to read it.
So, my own pain as an incest survivor can be a sacred bridge into the pain of others. Well, I have seen that already. I see that when I give talks. I see that when I lead retreats. I see that in spiritual direction. I do have compassion for others’ deep seated pain.
It is good to know that my pain can somehow be used to help others and bring them light. There is hope. Always hope. God makes good out of bad.

2 comments:

mile191 said...

hey. thanks for writing and for helping me to heal. i appreciate you being so good at using your voice. it helps me with mine. i have given you an award. for making lemonade out of lemons. thanks.

Colleen said...

Thank you for your comment. I am glad to know that my voice helps you to use your own. It is healing for me to know I am helping others. And thank you for my award! I won that award on my other blog so I feel doubly blessed!