Friday, January 30, 2009

Seeing Beauty Within

"Why is everyone here so happy except me?" "Because they have learned to see goodness and beauty everywhere," said the Master. "Why don't I see goodness and beauty everywhere?" "Because you cannot see outside of you what you fail to see inside." - Anthony de Mello (One Minute Wisdom)

I came across this quote of Anthony de Mello and I thought, wow, how true this is. I can see, that if I fail to see beauty on the inside, then I will tend to see ugly on the outside. If I see myself as unworthy, then I will often see others the same way, or feel the need to judge them or become super-critical. Jesus said to love our neighbor as ourselves. What happens to loving neighbor if we do not love ourselves?
But if I love myself, if I see myself as a person of worth, of value; if I can see my inner beauty as a beloved child of God, then I will see others the same way. If I experience a joy within, then I will express that joy and bring it to others.
I need to learn to be a good neighbor to myself as well as to others. I need to learn to see God's beauty on the inside. So I do not miss God's beauty on the outside.

2 comments:

April_optimist said...

VERY wise post!

Colleen said...

Thank you so much for your kind comment! God bless.