Monday, February 9, 2009

The World of Books

I discovered books when I was very little. I began devouring them as soon as I could read. I remember summers on my front porch in a big rocking chair, reading book after book after book. One summer I read every Nancy Drew book I could get my hands on! I remember walking to the library and being afraid that it would run out of books for me to read!
I look back now and I am so thankful for the gift of reading and books. Putting my nose into a book gave me time to think about other things besides hiding from my father. Reading was a way for me to to escape the pain of my childhood. Reading was a way of learning about how the rest of the world lived. There were normal families. There was love. There were children who were not lonely.
And there was laughter.
Besides escape, books helped to make me a good student. Books helped me to be a good teacher of my own children. Books taught me to write.
Thank you to all the readers and writers from all eternity. You gave me books. And they helped me survive.
Survive by grace.

2 comments:

mile191 said...

i too love books. i am reading one on self doubt right now. i hope it helps me. thanks for writing and for reading me. Happy Valentines Day.

Colleen said...

Thanks for visiting!! I hope your book helps. I think God often leads us to the right ones. Blessings.