Monday, April 20, 2009

Finding the Strength

Start being brave about everything. Drive out darkness and spread light. Don’t look at your weaknesses. Realize instead that in Christ crucified you can do everything. – Catherine of Siena
People tell me I am brave for telling my story. I have often been told that I am such a strong person. That can drive me nuts sometimes. I do not like being told I am strong, because then people think I don't need any help.
I went to therapy once and on my very first visit, my therapist figured out my feelings about this. She said that being strong can be very lonely. I was relieved that someone finally understood and could put into words what I was feeling.
The thing is, I may look strong on the outside but I do not always feel strong on the inside. Sometimes I am feeling pretty weak and scared and vulnerable.
The difference for me these days however is that I know my strength comes from God. And I know I am really not alone after all. For in Christ, I can do everything. I can even drive out some of the darkness and spread a little light.
God alone is my rock and my salvation, my secure height; I shall not fall. - Psalm 62:7

4 comments:

Patricia Singleton said...

Colleen, I can so agree with this. Strong can be a lonely place and like you, my support system rests with God as my anchor. The Christ Spirit gets me through the challenges every time. Sometimes I am strong because that is the only way I know to be. Sometimes it seems that being strong is the only choice other than dying. It isn't my time to die yet.

I feel the same way about people telling me I am courageous. They talk like being courageous is being something special that most people can't be. I don't believe that for a minute. We can all be courageous when we have to. You words resonate with me so much. Thanks.

Colleen said...

Patricia, Thank you for your comments. I like what you said - "Sometimes being strong is the only choice other than dying." SO TRUE! God bless.

Just Be Real said...

Colleen, all I am going to say to this is, "thank you and that what you just stated here also opened my eyes to my struggle in this same area."

Colleen said...

Just Be Real, I am glad that my words helped you in some way. Thanks for letting me know that. God bless