Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

Mother's Day. My two boys called me and it was great to hear their voices. They live too far away and I miss them. But they are leading good and happy lives. What more could a mother want?
When Mother's Day comes around, I often think of their childhood and what I could have done better and what I think I did right. I used to beat up on myself for the mistakes I made. It has taken me a long time to realize no mother is perfect. We all make mistakes. But I did most things right.
One of the best things I did was to break the cycle. My boys were not abused. Not by me. Not by anyone. For me, that is a big deal. They had a good childhood. They played and they felt safe and they trusted us. A very big deal.
Another thing, we gave them a stable home. They grew up in the same home with the same parents. Their father and I will be celebrating our 30th anniversary in July.
We taught them about God and about prayer and about faith.
Perhaps best of all, my boys know I love them. And I know they love me. That is the best Mother's Day gift as far as I am concerned.
My prayers have been answered.

3 comments:

Just Be Real said...

Colleen, what a wonderful Mother's Day you had! So glad that you were able to bring your boys up in a loving environment where God was also visible! In this day and age to have two parents remain as one, that is trul a miracle in itself. Thank you for sharing your Mother's Day blessing.

Patricia Singleton said...

Colleen, I am glad that you had a wonderful Mother's Day. I spent mine with my sister and husband. My two children called from Idaho where my daughter lives and my son is there visiting his sister and her family. Since my sister was visiting, I also got well wishes from one of her daughters when she called to wish her mother a Happy Mother's Day. Overall, my day was glorious.

Colleen said...

Just Be Real, Thank you! I am finding that it is good to remind myself of my blessings. And you are a blessing to me!! God bless.

Patricia, I am glad you had a glorious day. Sounds like you were surrounded by family both near and far!! God bless.