Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Loneliness

Have you ever felt lonely in a crowded room?
That was how I felt today. Lonely and sad.
I remember that feeling of loneliness when I was a little girl. There I was, abused, afraid, alone with no one to help me, no one to rescue me. I thought no one knew and no one wanted to know. So a pervasive feeling of loneliness followed me around.
Life is different now. When loneliness strikes, it may last a few days or a few hours, but it does not come often.
Sometimes I can try to talk myself out of it. Other times I pray. More often than not, someone comes in out of the blue to lift my spirits or say the right words.
Today I did all three things. I tried to talk myself out of feeling lonely, knowing what it was triggered by and knowing I have a choice (how quickly we forget!!) I prayed for help. And someone emailed me with the most beautiful note telling me how brave and courageous I am and what an inspiration I am.
Well. Talk about good timing.
Like that old saying goes - Work like it is all up to us and pray like it is all up to God.
I worked on myself, I prayed, and an angel appeared.
I am not lonely any more.

10 comments:

Just Be Real said...

Colleen, thank you for this and leading me to the post. I do not know how I missed this yesterday, but I guess I was not to see it until today.

Seems now since I cannot really relate to hugging my new founded teddy bear and bunny rabbits, the Bible will have to do.

Appreciate you dear, thank you.

Colleen said...

Just Be Real, Thanks for your comment and visit. My goodness, you are busy so I would not expect you to read all my blogs although I do appreciate it when you come by. You have such supportive and caring comments!
The Bible does give comfort. God bless.

HeartfeltHeartLook said...

Sometimes I think the lonliness, even in a crowd, is a longing for God. Only He can fill the hole in our hearts. Then I think of how He was alone. His disciples fell asleep, betrayed Him, or abandoned Him, so He knows our lonliness. He sent you an angel because He loves you~isn't that wonderful?!

Colleen said...

Bless you Heartfelt. Yes, only God can fill our hearts. Wishing you an angel! God bless.

sarah said...

you are a blessing. Thank you for your honesty in sharing your journey. I'm glad the lonliness lifted. Sarah

Colleen said...

Sarah, thank you so much for your kind comment. I appreciate it. Blessings!

Just Be Real said...

I had to re-visit this post again tonight. Obvious reasons.

Colleen said...

Hope it helped. Hugs!

Jackles111 said...

It sounds like you have a strong relationship with God. That's awesome. I owe my life to God. In my darkest days I clung to Him for dear life; without Him to turn to, I'm not sure I'd still be here. Seeing what you wrote helps remind me I need God every day. We all do.

Colleen said...

Jackles111, thank you for your comment. I am glad to know that my words helped you. I agree - we all need God every day. I always have to remind myself that I am not the master of the universe! God bless!