Thursday, August 13, 2009

Healing Bridge

1st posted 1/19/09

I did a book review on Mother Teresa’s Secret Fire by Joseph Langford. In it he writes: “God makes it always possible to move beyond preoccupation with our own pain, and to reach out to assuage the pain of others. Rather than isolating us, we can choose to make of life’s burdens a sacred bridge into the pain of others.”
Well, I like that. The “sacred bridge” is really such a beautiful way to put it. I bookmarked that page in the book – put a sticky note on it and I keep going back to read it.
So, my own pain as an incest survivor can be a sacred bridge into the pain of others. Well, I have seen that already. I see that when I give talks. I see that when I lead retreats. I see that in spiritual direction. I do have compassion for others’ deep seated pain.
It is good to know that my pain can somehow be used to help others and bring them light. There is hope. Always hope. God makes good out of bad.

5 comments:

Just Be Real said...

Colleen, this is wonderful. Truly how God can use you to reach and feel the pain of others through "healing bridge." Thank you for sharing!

((((Colleen))))

sarah said...

I am seeing that too Colleen. It's taken me time to share what I went through. I never wanted anyone to know but that is being selfish when God has done so much for me. Thanks for this. sarah

Lisa Marie said...

It takes such strength and vulnerability to create that bridge in the first place. Thank you for being someone others can count on for this!

VICKI IN AZ said...

Yes Colleen that is what you are, "A sacred bridge."

Colleen said...

JBR, thank you! God uses you to help others too! By sharing your story every day. And visiting people like me on our blogs!

Sarah, you are welcome. I do feel like I am called to do this. And it helps in my healing to know that my life has purpose.

Lisa Marie, thank you too. It does my heart good to know that my story helps others.

Vicki, thank you. Hugs.

I will be by to visit all of you when my vacation ends in a week! Thanks for dropping by! Your supportive comments mean a lot.