Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Time to Tear Down the Walls

1st posted 2/20/09

Nothing can “separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 8:39, NAB)

Years ago I built walls around my heart. I did it to protect myself. Walls were used to keep people out and keep my feelings and the “secret” in.
Now, I am trying to tear them down. Sometimes a wall comes down easily. Sometimes it is painful. Always it is liberating. And that is what keeps me doing it. I like that feeling of freedom. That feeling of healing.
It goes slow. It will take a lifetime. It will take my whole lifetime. And I can’t do it alone. God has been helping me all along. Even when I didn’t know he was there, in my heart.
Thank goodness, the walls I built never kept Him out.

9 comments:

sarah said...

HI Colleen, I love this post because I know exactly what you're saying about walls and the freedom. I still have some walls I want torn down but I find God does them slowly and gently as I feel safe. Praying you have a great day today. Sarah

Just Be Real said...

Amen, sista'. Needed confirmation on this today. Blessings.... ♥

Colleen said...

Sarah - thank you! Isn't it good to know we are not the only ones with walls? But I agree, God does it as we feel safe.

JBR, Glad my post (and God's grace) helped. Blessings to you, too.

Marj aka Thriver said...

It will take a lifetime for me as well. But, it is worth it.

Colleen said...

Marj - I agree! Definitely worth it. Hugs.

Patricia Singleton said...

You tear down the wall one brick at a time. In the beginning, I would take a few bricks away, something would scare me and they would go back up for a little while. As you face the fears, the bricks slowly come down and stay down. It is ok to put up boundaries with someone who hurts you.

Colleen said...

Patricia - I see what you mean. Many of my walls have come down and gone back up! But some have stayed down. And the one that has stayed up is the one I recently put up to protect me from my father. Thanks for your comment which always helps me.

Lisa Marie said...

A lifetime yes, but what lifetime would it be if we didn't do it? It's worth the lifetime.

Colleen said...

Lisa Marie - I so agree! Thanks.