Wednesday, August 12, 2009

World of Books

1st posted 2/9/09

I discovered books when I was very little. I began devouring them as soon as I could read. I remember summers on my front porch in a big rocking chair, reading book after book after book. One summer I read every Nancy Drew book I could get my hands on! I remember walking to the library and being afraid that it would run out of books for me to read!
I look back now and I am so thankful for the gift of reading and books. Putting my nose into a book gave me time to think about other things besides hiding from my father. Reading was a way for me to to escape the pain of my childhood. Reading was a way of learning about how the rest of the world lived. There were normal families. There was love. There were children who were not lonely.
And there was laughter.
Besides escape, books helped to make me a good student. Books helped me to be a good teacher of my own children. Books taught me to write.
Thank you to all the readers and writers from all eternity. You gave me books. And they helped me survive.
Survive by grace.

7 comments:

VICKI IN AZ said...

Oh how I loved book also my kindred spirit friend ;)!

Colleen said...

Vicki, nice to know that someone knows what I mean!! God bless!

HeartfeltHeartLook said...

I used to sit in our living room, eat a big bag of Doritos, drink a coke and read! :)

I received your book and read it right away. Now I'm going to read it again. Colleen, I am so happy God held on to you, and that in time you were able to recognize His love when he revealed it to you. Now I see why some would never make it through. I will write more later and send it to you before I post.

You are a talented writer. I can't even explain in words how this book touched me. Thank you! God bless you.

Colleen said...

Heartfelt, sitting in your living room, snacking and reading a book sounds so comforting!
I am so glad you liked my book. Your words - "Now I see why some would never make it through" - mean the world to me. This is one of the reasons I wrote the book - to help others understand more about child sexual abuse and its long term effects.
Thank you for your kind words. They will help keep me going. God bless.

Patricia Singleton said...

Books were my escape from abuse. I could go wherever I wanted in the pages of a book, anyway in this world and even into outer space. I could become Nancy Drew, Tom Sawyer, Jack London in the cold of Alaska or Ernest Hemmingway in the jungles of Africa and go with Pearl Buck to China. I could fly to the moon and back or even go on a space ship to Mars and beyond. Today I read more of nonfiction than fiction. But I still sometimes curl up with a romance novel or a good mystery just to escape for awhile. Like you, books helped me to cope with my childhood.

Colleen said...

Patricia,thanks for your wonderful comment. I too tend to go for non-fiction these days - Christian spiritual stuff.

Colleen said...

Patricia, I also meant to say that I too still like to escape sometimes and nothing like a good book to help me do that! What a blessing.