Saturday, September 5, 2009

Time to Play

A blog I read today reminded me of when my children were little and I could not seem to play with them. I thought there was something wrong with me. Why could I not play with my kids?
I had the best of plans. I would set up days at the beach and the playground and the park. I would try to play with them with their toys or games. I felt so guilty that it would never last very long or if it did, it was only because I just forced myself to play.

When I started going to an incest support group, a woman was talking about flying a kite with her children that day and she was so excited!! It turns out that she too had a problem playing with her kids. The therapist at the group said we had lost our childhood. We had forgotten how to play.
Knowing that helped me so much. It was such a relief that I was not alone. I started playing more with my children. And it got easier. Sometimes I even enjoyed it, once I got started. I even started having a Family Night at home once a week and the highlight of the evening was always the game we would play. It became a source of great memories for my family. My sons still talk about it.
I am still not that good at playing. But I try. I think it is good to be like a child at times, to be able to let go of our cares and worries and just have fun. Last Christmas, my sons and their families were at my home and my grandson got a fun family game from his dad. Most of us played it with him. And we all had fun, laughing like crazy.
Even me.
Image Source

6 comments:

Just Be Real said...

Thank you Colleen for featuring Sarah's blog. Blessings dear one...

Colleen said...

JBR, glad to do so. God bless.

HeartfeltHeartLook said...

Playing is fun Colleen. We're never to old. I love to make up stories for my five year old neighbor. When our foundation was being fixed, he asked why. I told him we had elves under the house and were trying to get rid of them!
Love and blessings to you!

Colleen said...

Heartfelt, thank you! I am learning to play! Your neighbor is lucky to have you as a neighbor - we all need storytellers in our lives!

Patricia Singleton said...

Playing is important. It helps us to release the stress that we may not even be aware that we are carrying around in our body and mind. Playing is the gift that our children and grandchildren give us. Have a glorious day while I go and play with my youngest grandchild.

Colleen said...

Patricia, Glad you are getting some time to play!!