Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Good Little Girl

I was listening to a talk given by Fr. Larry Gillick, a Jesuit priest who has done an audio retreat on Shame.
He said that our inner goodness does not come from the good things we do. The good things we do comes from our inner goodness.
I don't know about you but I always thought it was the other way around. I thought I had to do the right things in order to feel better about myself, in order to feel that I was a good person.
I thought I had to be perfect so others would think I was good and they would love me.
It is that "good little girl" thing.
Be good and Dad will love me.
Be good and everyone will love me.
Be good and Dad won't hurt me.
Be good and no one will notice that I am sad.
But guess what! I don't have to be that good little girl any more. I can be myself and know I am lovable just the way I am. Even when I mess up.
There is an inner goodness that God put there and nothing I do can take it away. I do not have to be that good little girl any more. I can be me. And rest in the knowledge that I am a person of value, a person of worth.
I do not have to be perfect to know that.
And neither do you.

10 comments:

sarah said...

Hi Colleen, your thoughts, your writings always speak to me. His gentle touch is the most powerful thing ever. I pray you feel it today. Tons of blessings to you. Sarah

Colleen said...

Thank you Sarah, blessings to you as well!

Patricia Singleton said...

Being that "good little girl" is what perfectionism was all about for me. If I could be perfect, if I could be good enough, then maybe, just maybe, you would love me.

Today, I don't have to be perfect to know that I deserve to be loved for who I am, not who I pretend to be. Great article.

Colleen said...

Patricia, most of the time I know that I deserve to be loved for who I am. But that good little girl creeps in once in awhile. Thanks for your comment!

Lisa Marie said...

Such a powerful way to think of goodness. I too have been thinking about it backwards.

Colleen said...

Lisa Marie, I guess part of healing is getting our thoughts turned around to what is real and true. Blessings.

rox said...

So true ! the only perfect is Him ! that is the only perfect that exists for me anyway but also that perfect is inside me and You and wow when He shines He shines
;-)
Shine on Colleen !

Colleen said...

Rox, ever hear that song - Shine Jesus Shine? Great song. Thanks for your visit. God bless.

VICKI IN AZ said...

So perfectly true. Truth just fills up those hole left in our hearts when we find it.

I remember the first time I was taught that I have worth just because I am. I don't have to do one thing to deserve it. We have worth because we are Children of God.

Colleen said...

Vicki, thanks. Knowing that we have worth just because we are - what a gift! God bless!