Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Ripple Effect


There is a saying in the Talmud that I have heard quite a bit lately - “When you save a life you save the world.” And it got me to thinking.
I think about the people who have helped me on my journey to healing. I think of my husband who loves me and has brought laughter into my life. I think of my spiritual director who treats me like I am a special child of God, a person with worth and value. And then there are the friends and fellow survivors who have reached out and touched my life in a healing way.
In many ways, all of these people have saved my life.
And now I am now reaching out to help others who are survivors. I've written a book and I give talks and I write and I tell my story in order to help others who cannot speak.
How many people have been helped because I was helped?
We may not end child abuse in our lifetime. But we can help just one person. And then that one person can help others. One person at a time can turn into many more people. It is that whole ripple effect thing.
And I am not just talking about the ripple effect on other survivors. How about our friends and family who love us and have had to suffer along with us? Our loved ones who have had to deal with the effects the abuse has had on us. Those who have had to live in our roller coaster world of ups and downs. They, too, can be helped if we are helped.
The ripple effect.
Save one life and you save the world.

15 comments:

Susan Deborah said...

How very true, Colleen. Often times we are quite engrossed with ourselves that the person next to us seems oblivious to our eyes.

What a nice thought to start the day.

Joy always.

Shall follow your writing here after.

Susan.

Colleen said...

Susan, thank you so much for your comment and for following me. Blessings.

Just Be Real said...

Colleen, so very true. The ripple effect is the perfect title for this post. Your book, your talks, all get out there to hurting people. Blessings as always....

Patricia Singleton said...

Yes, like Susan and JBR, I have to say this is just so very true for all of us that choose to heal and speak out about our past and our healing. It is a joy to watch you grow more every day in your healing journey. I am honored to know you. This is why the struggle to heal is so worth everything. Reaching out to help others helps us too.

Andrea said...

AMEN...so true!
Blessings, andrea

sarah said...

Being Jewish, I have heard that quote many times. THis post is great. thank you Colleen - you are always so empowering...so positive. have a great week. sarah

Colleen said...

JBR, thank you for your support. I am always glad when you come to "visit." Blessings to you too.

Patricia, I am honored to know you as well. And I always appreciate your comments - so supportive and wise. And I agree - reaching out to help others helps us.

Andrea, thank you for your Amen! It is good to know that I am not alone in this way of thinking.

Sarah, thank you. It is a beautiful quote. It always moves me. Glad you find me empowering. I never thought of myself like that, but if my words are empowering you, I am very happy about that. Blessings.

Lisa Marie said...

What a great reflection on how our life and our actions affect everyone, for better or worse. One person at a time :)

Colleen said...

Lisa Marie, yes, one person at a time. Save a life, save the world. I just love that! Thanks for stopping by!

Erin Merryn said...

It must be wonderful to have a husband to support you. Keep on talking will allow others to find their voice.

Colleen said...

Erin, I have been blessed to have my husband in my life. He has made a huge difference for me. And I do hope to help others to find their voice. In the meantime, I am happy to speak for all who cannot. Thanks for stopping by!

Marj aka Thriver said...

Whenever I start thinking there's no way to really make a difference and promote positive global change, I need to remember the ripple effect. The "and they'll tell two friends, and they'll tell two friends..." phenomenon. Thanks so much for allowing us to use this excellent reminder for THE BLOG CARNIVAL AGAINST CHILD ABUSE, Colleen!

Colleen said...

Marj, you are welcome! I need to remember it too. Thanks for hosting the Blog Carnival.

Patricia Singleton said...

Colleen, I love your Christmas theme layout. Being aware of the ripple effect of the recovery work that we each do on ourselves is helpful to others.

Colleen said...

Patricia, thank you! I like the layout too! Cute reindeer. That ripple effect is so good to remember. Thanks.