Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Surviving Christmas

I survived Christmas.
Actually, I did more than survive Christmas. I celebrated Christmas and had a wonderful time. My hubby and I spent the weekend with our two sons and their wives. We just hung out, eating too much, playing games like Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit and Family Feud (no kidding!), talking and laughing. A lot of laughing.
It was fun. No stress. No running around. No time table. Just a loving family.
Oh, I had some moments. Some twinges. Twinges of sadness and grief.
But then I remembered something someone wrote to me recently. Hang out with those who nourish and support you. Stay away from those who are toxic, who hurt you.
I was with my loving husband and sons. I felt loved and respected and cared for and valued. I felt safe and nourished. And I was reminded once again that I have broken the cycle of abuse. There I was with my two sons who are happy and healthy adults. I knew that I must have done something right.
So I said good-bye to the sadness. At least for now. There will be moments when I am alone and I can deal with the feelings then.
But for this moment, I enjoyed the love.
And I said thank you, Jesus.

8 comments:

Finally Free said...

Going from surviving to celebrating Christmas. I love the way you put this. This year I want to celebrate life not survive. I want to walk in God's Joy!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. :)

Blessings,
Tammy

Andrea said...

AMEN...I am going for celebrating life..not just surviving!
Blessings and hugs,
andrea

Wanda's Wings said...

Celebrating not just surviving. How beautiful.

Colleen said...

Finally Free, me too! Celebrating life instead of fearing it. Blessings.

Andrea, hugs to you too! Thanks for visiting!

Wanda, that was how I felt. I want to hold onto it forever.

Just Be Real said...

Awww Colleen, this is great and touching! You are always an encouragement!!! Thank you for sharing.... ((((Colleen))))

Colleen said...

JBR, glad I can encourage you! You do the same for me! Thanks for your visit and your hugs!!

sarah said...

sounds like it was wonderful. Glad you enjoyed. Sarah

Colleen said...

Sarah, thanks for your visit. I am sorry I have not been to your blog much recently. After the holiday I will get back into routine! God bless!