Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Is It My Turn To Fly?

I found this song by Susan Boyle  - Who I Was Born to Be - to post on my Catholic blog, Thoughts on Grace. It was Music Monday and the words to this song really touched me.
This is my favorite line -And it feels like my turn to fly 
The last verse also moved me deeply - 
When I was a child
There were flowers that bloomed in the night
Unafraid to take in the light
Unashamed to have braved the dawn
Imagine being unashamed to brave the dawn ... I might feel that way now. Most of the time. But I didn't as a child .. 
But do we see ourselves now as children of God, and we see ourselves as flowers now, blooming in the night, unafraid to take in the light, unashamed to brave the dawn ...
Being brave does not mean you are not afraid. I am sometimes afraid ... even now. I am afraid when I share my story and yet there is an overwhelming need to do so.
Having courage is being afraid and yet going ahead and doing what you need to do or have to do anyway. Living life the best we can.
Here is the song followed by the lyrics:



When I was a child
I could see the wind in the trees
and I heard a song in the breeze
it was there, singing out my name

But I am not a girl
I have known the taste of defeat
and I have finally grown to believe
it will all come around again

And though I may not know the answers
I can finally say I am free
And if the questions led me here, then
I am who I was born to be

And so here am I
Open arms and ready to stand
I've got the world in my hands
And it feels like my turn to fly

And though I may not know the answers
I can finally say I am free
And if the questions led me here, then
I am who I was born to be

When I was a child
There were flowers that bloomed in the night
Unafraid to take in the light
Unashamed to have braved the dawn

And though I may not know the answers
I can finally say I am free
And if the questions led me here, then
I am who I was born to be

I am who I was born to be

12 comments:

Paula said...

Sorry for being absent for a few days. The song certainly holds some truth and yes, I think it is time to fly for all of us in receovery. We do a lot to let our wings heal. Hugs across the pond

Colleen said...

Paula, no problem. We can't always get to everyone everyday. I would like to myself but this week I am working on a retreat talk which basically makes me not available!! I like how you put it - we do a lot to let our wings heal. Amen. Hugs to you!

Marj aka Thriver said...

I love Susan Boyle and I love her story. She really has a way with her singing of helping you hear the lyrics and feel the song.

Thanks for the reminder of what courage really is. I consider you such a brave, brave person!

Lily said...

What a wonderful song! Susan Boyle has such an amazing voice.

Colleen said...

Marj, thank you. I appreciate your kind words.

Lily, glad you like it!! She does have an amazing song.

sarah said...

so beautiful....Susan Boyle's life...her dream realized is an inspiration. It's your time to fly Colleen....and mine. Hugs. Sarah

Colleen said...

Sarah, thank you. You are so right. It is definitely our time to fly! Hugs.

Just Be Real said...

Colleen, I have been back and forth looking at this post. Thank you for sharing. Will certainly be back again. Susan Boyle is an inspiration. Blessings.

Colleen said...

Hi JBR, glad you are inspired by Susan Boyle and her song. So am I! Blessings to you.

April_optimist said...

I love it! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful performance and song.

Patricia Singleton said...

This is a beautiful song and yes it is your turn to fly as high and as long as you want to. Flying is such a freeing feeling. You deserve to fly. We all do.

Colleen said...

Patricia, thank you. You are right. We all deserve to be able to fly!