Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Home-Sick

I am home sick. I have the flu. The flu in April. What fun.
Being sick reminds me of my childhood when I would be sick, and stay home from school, and my mother would give me ginger ale and chicken soup and we would watch TV together. I Love Lucy was a favorite!
I do not have many fond memories of my childhood but this is one of them. I felt nurtured and cared for and my father left me alone when I was sick. It was a "safe" time for me.
Now I am adult and I am learning to take care of myself and when I am sick, I drink ginger ale and eat chicken soup and watch old shows on TV. And I feel comforted by that.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Praying you feel better soon.
Hugs, andrea

Just Be Real/God Whispers In The Wind said...

Colleen, this post touched me, as you relayed how you felt nurtured and cared for and at the same time, the only time you felt safe while you were sick as a child. My heart hears you.

Hope you feel better soon dear one.

Patricia Singleton said...

Get better soon. Sending healing Reiki energy your way.

Paula said...

It is terrible to know that only an illness prevents abuse. I am gald that you have learned to co-parent. Iam still a beginner in this department. Hope you feel better soon.

Colleen said...

Andrea, JBR, Patricia, thank you!

Paula, I am still learning to co-parent too. But I am getting better at it!