Saturday, April 10, 2010

We Need Truth

Thanks to Julie at Concerned for Life, I read an eye-opening article that included a letter by the priest who was a judge in the case of the Father Murphy that has been part of the newest controversy about sexual abuse scandals in the Catholic church. I feel much better after reading this.
My view of Pope Benedict in reference to the clergy sexual abuse scandals affecting this country and others has been of one who has been kind and caring. He has apologized to the victims, which was a moment of healing for me. I read his letter to the victims of Ireland and found it to be so healing, a reaching out to them with love and care. I feel that our Pope has been a true shepherd, longing to help heal Jesus' lambs.
Child sexual abuse in all of society is a major problem. What really angers me, is that the victim often gets forgotten as some people try to follow their own agendas in this. There have been many reporters who have reported honestly on the scandals in the church. Indeed, back in 2002, they helped bring out the abuse and cover-up going on in this country. But there have been others who seem to just want to stir the pot and create news.
We survivors of abuse need TRUTH. We have lived with our own secrets for too long. Stop using us to further your own agendas.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

AMEN..the truth sets us free!
Blessings, andrea

Colleen said...

Andrea, thank you for your comment. Blessings to you, too.

rox said...

Hi Colleen , yes that is all victims & survivors need and in fact the world on a whole needs truth to be shared even the sinful part , people cannot continue to hide sin , it hurts ourselves & others so much .
I had some twisted people posting on my abuse blog , some in languages I couldn't even undertsna d unless I went to the translator . Anyway I had to put my comments onto moderated and have not quite figured out if I got Your comment up yet ;-)
keep strong

Colleen said...

rox, I was getting those kinds of comments too. I had to moderate mine too. it helped. a lot. God bless!

Patricia Singleton said...

Colleen, thanks for sharing the truth. I am not Catholic and don't know the circumstances of the issue so I was believing what the newspapers were saying. Thanks for helping to clear that up.

Colleen said...

Oh thank you Patricia! Your comment confirms that I did the right thing in posting this here. Blessings!

Paula said...

Being German and living cclose to teh area where he is born and has doen duty before I like to share that up to this day he has not ever apologized to all the abuse happened in germany and revealed of the last few weeks. While working in Germany as Bishop and Cardinal we was well know for this desire to have a very "clean church" going so far to that more then once it was suspected he wants to establish a modern version of inquisiton. Well, you know him since he is pope I know him all my life. I never aproved of him a person. Ok, Iam pagan however I do respect other views and faith, Nevertheless everyone independetly what he representes I can respect only if he convinces me of his personality. And I am grateful for my view. Particularly as I know him so very long.

Colleen said...

Paula, thank you for your input. I guess it shows that it is all about perspective. I am sorry for your experience of him. I hope you were not upset by my post. I appreciate you. Blessings.