Saturday, July 16, 2011

Breaking the Secret

I have posted this quote before. I needed to read it again so I am sharing it with you all.

Sue Blume, author of Secret Survivors, writes:
Families often turn against the adult incest survivor who breaks the secret….enormous conflict accompanies this truth and the psyche fights it through attacking its messenger. They are protecting themselves in a more fundamental way. Incest often occurs through the generations. So do secrets, including the secrets we keep from ourselves. …if the “closeness” that she risks losing by telling is a closeness that was bought with her silence, it is built on a lie. She cannot trust it. She may live an illusion of family intimacy, but what she sacrifices for the label of “family” is any sense of trust, security, or honesty…. No perpetrator stops on his own. In breaking the secret, she has, finally, the power to break the chain. pp. 71-74

2 comments:

Tina Hollenbeck said...

Yep. "Breaking the chains" were the EXACT words the Lord gave me when I started my healing process. I have no proof that incest in my family was generational, but I also would not doubt it. But it stops here, by God's grace.

Colleen said...

Tina, it helps to know that we broke the chain, doesn't it? Thanks for your visit.