Thursday, July 28, 2011

For Those Who Never Sing

Alas for those who never sing, but die with their music within them. – Oliver Wendell Holmes
I read this quote the other day and my heart broke. Tears came to my eyes as I thought about the music that many of us carry within us and never sing.
I thought of myself and other survivors of child sexual abuse. So many of us never sing. Never.
Child sexual abuse causes a kind of soul death, a slow dying deep inside. I know survivors who have never sung their song. I know their pain and I see it in their faces. I fear that my sister may be one of these people. She suffers too much.
Victims of child sexual abuse have no power. They have a song to sing and no one to listen to them.
Will anyone stand up for the children?
This post inspired by yet another story of yet another bishop who failed to protect his lambs. Check out this US Catholic story.

12 comments:

Susan Deborah said...

Only when the heart is light, the songs arise. Colleen, your post makes me think so mch on many levels.

Joy always,
Susan

Colleen said...

Susan, thank you for your comment. I like your first line about songs arising when the heart is light.
I was thinking on many levels when I wrote it. And decided, less is more. Hugs.

Just Be Real said...

Great meaningful quote Colleen. Your words share your experiences and of hope. Blessings.

Colleen said...

JBR, thank you. Your words help me.

sarah said...

I love what susan deobrah said....so true

Colleen said...

Sarah, me too. Thanks for visiting!

Patricia Singleton said...

Colleen, if I couldn't sing, I would die. Song has always been important to me.

I am one of those people who is constantly humming to myself, usually without even being conscious of it. Sometimes the humming is of a popular song that I just heard on the radio or TV but more often it is tones that just seem to follow some unknown pattern of its own- sounds without words. I don't have to have words.

The tones bring me calm and an inner harmony that I wouldn't have if I couldn't hum. You ask where the sounds come from? Somewhere deep inside of my knowing Self. I have never expressed this before - never thought much about it. Sound in song is very important to me. It helps me to touch the divine in me.

Colleen said...

Patricia, that is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with me. Your words fill me with hope and joy!

Pastor Sharon said...

This is a very moving post. To hold a song inside and never hear it sang or get to sing it to someone, that is the saddest thing.

After reading this, it brings me to my knees to say prayers for your sister, so she too can find her voice to sing her song.

Colleen said...

Pastor Sharon, thank you very much for your comments and your prayers. I too pray that she finds her voice. I agree that to never sing one's song is the saddest thing. Breaks my heart to even think of it.

J.B. said...

Very cool quote! And so true! Thanks for sharing :)

Colleen said...

JB, thank you! Thanks for visiting!