Monday, August 29, 2011

Grace

"...where sin increased, grace overflowed all the more." (Romans 5:20)
The note in the bible on this verse says that "Paul declares that grace outmatches productivity of more sin." Interesting verse to contemplate.
I was sexually abused by my father for years. That memory blocks out most of any good memories I have of my childhood. But I DO remember my love for God and church at an early age.
We did not talk much about God at home. I remember saying grace before meals and a prayer at bedtime. I remember walking to church by myself on those Sundays when my parents slept late. I remember singing in the youth choir.
I especially remember getting my first bible from our minister at about the age of 7. My love for that bible was such a comfort to me that I still have it over 50 years later.
Did God's grace increase because of the sin in my home? Did God make me more aware of His presence at such a young age, knowing I needed that grace to get through each day? My spiritual director once suggested that this was probably so.
A friend of mine says that when she thinks of grace, she often thinks of rain pouring down from above. Now I think of the same thing. Grace falling down on us like a steady rain.
What a beautiful thought.
Oh Lord, please continue to drench me with your grace.

2 comments:

Tina Hollenbeck said...

I think that's true. I was visited by an angel shortly after one of rapes I survived at the hands of my two step-cousins. He didn't say anything, but peace simply washed over me, and I felt the Spirit say to me, "You'll be okay." And, looking back, I can see how God's hand was on me (to keep me alive) through the years of abuse by my father and those rapes. I should be dead; it is extra grace that I am not.

Colleen said...

Tina, thank you so much for sharing your experience. It gives me comfort to look back and see that I was not alone. And to hear the stories from other survivors, too.