Friday, December 9, 2011

Someone Listened

A father was arrested for sexually abusing his daughter. She had been abused since age 7 and she is middle school age now. It was the headline for the local news tonight and they did a whole story on child sexual abuse and the statistics and the signs to watch out for.
I was so happy to see the reporting of this incident. I wonder what will happen if some victims see this.
I wonder what would have happened if I had seen something like this on the news.
Would I have reported my father? At the very least, I would have known I was not alone.
There is hope. I sense it. There is hope. With all of the abuse stories coming out lately - Penn State and sports organizations and before this, the Catholic Church, people are now listening. People are paying attention and getting educated.
It is coming out of the dark.
I am so relieved that this girl was listened to and helped. Hopefully she will get therapy, and she will do better than a lot of us who carried our secret into adulthood.
We have a long way to go, but there is hope.
Someone listened.

9 comments:

Patricia Singleton said...

Yes, finally someone is listening and learning not to judge the victims of abuse. As more of us speak out, more will come forward with their stories because our courage gives them courage. Our voices give them their voices. Thank you for being one of those voices.

Colleen said...

Patricia, thank you too for being one of the voices for all who cannot speak. I agree - our courage gives them courage. It is nice to see it happen, isnt it?

Just Be Real said...

Yes I am glad she was listened to as well. I think "today" you have a little bit more of a chance of someone listening to you. Thank you Colleen for posting.

Colleen said...

JBR, sometimes I think so too and other times I wonder. There is still so much ignorance out there about sexual abuse and signs and perpetrators. Many people still think perpetrators wear horns and are easily identifiable. But you are right, it is getting better. Hugs!

Sarah (Nikki) said...

there's so many stories...sometimes I feel overwhelmed with how prevalent sexual abuse is. But I am glad it's being talked about...and there's support and help. And you're a voice too. Thanks for that.

abbie said...

I appreciate your courage, and I am so grateful to know that the Lord has and is still healing you....you are a light in the darkness to those whose experiences are like yours. Thank God for the adults who aren't afraid to stand up for the little ones.

Colleen said...

Abbie, thank you so much And I so agree - thank God for those adults who protect children and speak out.

Just Be Real said...

Blessings to you Colleen.

Colleen said...

Thanks JBR! Hugs and God bless.